Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

How my Christmas cactus bloomed for Halloween

My so-called Christmas cactus has baffled me over the years. When I first bought it, it was at holiday time and it was in full bloom. Then, for several years, nothing happened. It didn't die, but it didn't bloom. I continued to fertilize it and to move it around the house to find the right window and sunlight for it.

One year, it bloomed at Easter! Naturally, someone told me I must have an Easter cactus... One year, it bloomed around Thanksgiving and I assumed it was just an early bloomer getting a jump on Christmas. A co-worker told me her relative keeps hers by a cool window sill and it loves the cold... Mine does not like the cold window at all.

About two years ago, I decided that the house plants would go outside on the deck for the summer. Suddenly, my plant jumped into bloom mode. At the end of September, the beautiful little pink buds decided to show themselves. For me this is what works best -- a full summer of heat and sun with some fertilizing thrown in along the way.

Here is this year's beauty - just in time for Halloween. (I pulled the plants inside just before Hurricane Sandy hit town.) Maybe she's a little confused, as I am, but she's still downright amazing!

Blooms at the beginning of November -- Merry Halloween?


Gardeners -- what's your take on this? What experiences have you had with the mysterious 'Christmas' cactus and what would you recommend?

1 comment:

  1. It also is the number of hours exposed to the light and darkness that causes it to bloom.

    ReplyDelete

comments welcome!