Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Remembering my Dad

September 24, 2012 -- Six years ago today, my Dad lost his fight with lung cancer. He was 85 years young and I have chosen to only remember his strong and vibrant days and not the few weeks when we noticed him starting to fail.


My Dad was a talented, self-taught craftsman. One day he got the idea to make some furniture and turned out this little hutch cabinet. (I can't remember exactly when this was, but I am suspecting the late 60's, early 70's, pine, varnished, etc.) Maybe that's where I get my spurts of inspiration - I tend to get an idea and have to act on it or it burns into my being until I do.

That said, I bought Real Milk Paint - Yellow Ochre over 4 years ago with the intent of transforming this hutch and some other pieces.  (Note irony, please!)In a burst of have-to-finally-do-it, I mixed up the paint last week. I'm don't think my Dad would appreciate my rustic styling. I did an undercoat of red and then covered it with the yellow/mustardy milk paint to try to make it look aged and as if it had been painted over several times over many years. I left the scratched, varnished wood top alone. He would have said, 'What the hell?' considering he probably worked hours getting that finished look on it!  You can find this color and their others here: http://www.realmilkpaint.com/colorsticks.htm



I hope you like it, Daddy. My sisters probably won't like it either, but this piece stays in my home forever, in honor of you. Your soul is in it and now, I hope, a little of mine, too.

1 comment:

  1. I think your hutch turned out lovely. Your Dad would be proud of the fact that you are expressing your creativity, just as he did. Love that piece.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

comments welcome!