Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Brimfield finds - and then some

Great Fall-like weekend here in the Northeast. Saturday's trip to Brimfield, MA was only marred by the rainy weather. It started out as a decent day, but towards noon, the skies darkened and there were rumors of tornado warnings as we watched one of the snack shop owners grab up his tables and chairs! But just like the postal service, we marched on, looking for our treasures. I ended up with some rusty skeleton keys, a ceramic jug, a big rusted tin "L" to add to my studio walls, and some mugs and a pitcher from one of the Fiesta dealers.

My letter 'L' - It's big, it's rusty, and it seems these are all the rage.


It's not unique, but I like these jugs.
Just love Fiesta - adding to the collection.



The Fiestaware is NOT used, or primitive, or old, or recycled. Brimfield is a good place to find it, though. I have cups and saucers and ONE mug already, so I thought I'd add some t the collection. The pitcher is classic Fiesta, so I just had to have it.

Today I took some of the skeleton keys and glued them into this little wooden box I had been saving. It used to hold a bunch of metal Christmas tags and I knew it would make an interesting frame for some king of collection. Last week I painted it with yellow milk paint. I think it's really simple, but fun art for the wall. What do you think?



Most of the chairs which I found were way out of my price limits and the few I saw that weren't were in such ill repair that I had to pass them by. One of the dealers told me that they had to charge higher prices because they paid so much to be at the show. I understand that and I also understand the effort and time that goes into restoration. But, I wasn't looking for a finely painted chair. I was looking for something that needed some fixin' up and decorating.

Today, along with attending a local arts festival and finding some lovely holiday gifts (don't tell!!), I found this little charmer at a yard sale. The seller told me she purchased it in West Virginia. It's in perfect condition and is handmade, but I can't wait to paint her and give her new life. I already know what I'm going to do with it, but I have to get down to business!!

Oh, forgot to mention, it's a mini rocking chair. The woman used it to display some stuffed animals and dolls. I have other plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments welcome!