Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Oh, yeah! My junking finds and I have BIG plans!

I need a space where I can do my design work. My older son is moving his junk out of the house to his new apartment and I decided to take one of the smaller rooms and make it my design space. It's a project in itself, but something I've wanted to do since we moved in 13 years ago. Deciding I needed something bigger and better than my plastic folding table, off we went on Saturday to a favorite antique shop, COUNTRY JUNQUE in Bayport, NY. Bayport is a lovely little town with gingerbread houses and shops, not far from the Atlantic Ocean beaches of the south shore of Long Island. The owners of this shop have been there forever (I'm hearing since 1984) and their prices are unbelievably reasonable.



First thing I found - pink transferware! Last time I was there, the cupboard was bare. This time, EUREKA!! Got this cute little pitcher and matching mini plate for a steal and according to the markings, they are quite old.

(I think sometimes people clean out grandma's house and don't realize what treasures they have.)





 

Also found this nice bowl to add to the collection on my wall and at this point, I'm really a happy camper. BUT -- I came to find a suitable work table...

The gorgeous pine farm table in the front of the shop was perfect, but the ticket said $500 - about 10 times what I wanted to spend. On the way into the shop, we had seen a maple table and laughed that our moms had the same table when we were growing up. My husband insisted that this must be the actual table his mom had.

Taking a closer look at the maple table, we find it has two pull-out leaves and a crossbar underneath that adds support and could hold (maybe) a storage basket or a box. In my head, I wanted to find something for $50, but would probably go as high as $100. You know, the best thing for the lowest price kind of thing. Surprise -- Price on the tag - $75. Okay! Then the owner said, "But I'll let you have it for $65." This must be my lucky day! SOLD!

SO, here she is. I'm going to paint the bottom black and refinish the wooden top. I'm breaking away from my paint-everything-white trend. The walls will be a creamy color and the trim a little darker, accented with black furnishings -maybe a bookshelf to go with the desk and two ladderback antique chairs my mom left to me. I can't wait!!

6 comments:

  1. I love that pink transferware!! What a great find! And good deal on the table too - looks like it will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to show us your table when you're done. You'll like the two tone. My kitchen table is wood top with painted legs/support only blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do!! Your table sounds sweet with the blue color. I have the typical white farm table and bow back chairs in my dining area, but I still do love it!

      Delete
  4. Love the red AND the table. I stripped and restained an old maple table and just love it (mine has drop sides). Can't wait to see yours finished!

    ReplyDelete

comments welcome!